S. TERESA’S CATHOLIC CHURCH

 

THE HISTORY

 
Our Parish came into existence in 1933. This followed the construction of the houses in the Thompson Avenue area which resulted in an influx of Catholic families. Initially, all this area was part of SS Mary and John's Parish but in the early 1930s the Parish Priest, Fr Sammons, resolved to build a church in Parkfields.
The local Catholics raised the money for the building of the new Church. One of the money raising schemes was buying a brick at the cost of 6d each.
The Parish of St Teresa of the Infant Jesus came into existence in 1933 when the new Church was completed. The first Parish Priest just for St Teresa's was Fr. Alfred Whittington.



The old church

The Parish thrived and grew so that when Fr. John Bullen arrived as Parish Priest in 1960, he quickly started to petition the diocese because it was felt that the Church was too small. It could only seat two hundred people. At this time the Parish had 1000 people on its books with up to 800 attending one of the four Sunday Masses. The initial thoughts were to extend the Church.

The main altar in the old church


By July 1963 things had moved on and Fr Bullen was seeking permission to build a new church. These were interesting times in the development of the Parish because it was also at this time that land had been purchased to build a school for St Teresa's as there were 375 children under 12 years old in the Parish. The school was opened in 1968 and it continues to provide a very good education and Catholic environment in which young people of the area can develop.

The First Holy Communion of the children


The new Church was duly built after much hard work and fund raising. Bishop Cleary blessed the Foundation Stone of the new Church on Easter Sunday 1967 and the official opening was presided over by Archbishop Dwyer on 7th December 1969.
The old Church became a Church Hall and was used for many years as a social centre for the Parish. The new Church was consecrated by Bishop Joseph Cleary on 1st October, 1961.

The celebration of 25th anniversary of our church was presided over by bp McGough


THE PRESENT TIMES

The grotto in front of the church


The Parish is currently under the guidance of the Pauline Fathers who have served our community since 2002 and worked with Parishioners to give a sense of direction.

The main altar


Parishioners help in many ways. Eucharistic Ministers take Communion to the sick, people help at Mass with the music, planning of the Liturgy, with reading, serving, organising collections, arranging flowers and preparing the Altar. There is Children's Liturgy each week at the Saturday Evening Mass.

The parishioners during Mass


There are various Groups within the Parish, including: an APF Society, an RCIA Group as well as those Parishioners who prepare refreshments for social functions.
Members of the Parish have worked tirelessly over the years on the upkeep of the Church. A meeting room has been created by converting the choir loft. This is important both for social and spiritual events.

Our Lady's Chapel


OUR LOCATION


St Teresa’s Church stands on the A4123 Trunk road and bus route linking Wolverhampton and Birmingham, about 2 miles from Wolverhampton City Centre. Housing estates and industrial units surround the Church, supporting a very large cross-section of people and culture.

The font and the Paschal candle

THE LIST OF THE PARISH PRIESTS


1933 - 1934 ...  served from SS. Mary and John’s - Fr. Sammons
1934 - 1937 ...  Fr. Alfred Whittingham
1937 -
1946 ...  Fr. Peter Kavanagh
1946 - 1960 ...  Fr. John Collins
1960 - 1988 ...  Fr. John Bullen
1988 - 1992 ...  Fr. Paul Devaney
1992 - 1995 ...  Fr. Joseph Firth
1995 - 1996 ..
.  served from SS. Mary and John’s - Fr. Emmanuel Gili Hammett
1996 - 2001 ...  Rev. John Burton was the Permanent Deacon in the Parish
1996 - 2000 ...  Fr. Thomas Walton
2000 - 2002 ...  served from SS. Mary and John’s - Fr. Emmanuel Gili Hammett
2002 - 2003 ...  Fr. Zbigniew Frankowski
2003 -           ...  Fr. Kazimierz Stefek